View Single Post
Old 29th January 2010, 09:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by steam for ever View Post
Hold on you said there were 153s in an earlier post did you not?
I would class an occasional 153 running an Oldham Loop service as them running on the line even if they didn't run on the line every day.

Booked traction is not what always turns up. I caught the 08:5x service from Knutsford to Greenbank (at the time when it originated at St-Annes-on-Sea). The service from St-Annes was booked for 2x156s (and was sponsored by GMPTE to be such). About once a week the service from St-Annes was 156+150 and on some occasions was a single 156 and one day I remember a 156+142 and another day I remember a 150+142+142. Now imagine we didn't usually have any 142s on the line at the time - that would mean 142s did not run on the line even if they turned up for that one service occasionally?

Quote:
Can you give the number of this other 142 you speak of?
It wouldn't be the same 142 every day, as I already said I didn't see the service on Tuesday and it'd be difficult to get a train number when it's dark!

If you don't believe me then go to Piccadilly one day at around 16:30 you'll see the arrival of the 15:07 service from Chester (a pair of 150s) goes to Buxton around 10-15 minutes after arriving at Piccadilly. You'll also see 3 142s arriving in multiple at Piccadilly, which is new stock from Newton Heath, the front one is then detached from the rear two and the front one forms the 17:09 Chester service and the rear two form the 17:23 Hazel Grove service.