View Single Post
Old 27th January 2010, 20:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by steam for ever View Post
Finally on the mid cheshire there is one 142 running and no more. If there is a second it may well be in for servicing but I have only collected one number. 142005.
So am I correct in saying the reason we're disagreeing is because you went train spotting for a few hours and only saw one 142? If that is the case you need to be aware of unit swaps and maybe consider doing train spotting later on in the day and you'll see more than one 142.

As I've pointed out the 16:36 arrival at Piccadilly from Chester is a pair of 150s, once at Manchester the next destination for those units is Buxton and a 142 arriving from Newton Heath comes in to service for the 17:09 Chester via Altrincham. At the time this train leaves Manchester another 142 is between Lostock Gralam and Northwich heading towards Chester, with the 16:58 Stockport to Chester train inbetween the two being a Sprinter. A further 142 is also between Navigation and Stockport at this time heading for Manchester, meaning at 17:09 we have 3 142s running Manchester to Chester via Altrincham services.

Another place where there's a unit swap is the 09:17 Manchester to Chester service is a 150 attached to an out-of-use 142. On arrival at Chester the trains are seperated and the 142 forms the 11:07 Chester to Manchester service with the 150 remaining at Chester to be picked up later by another crew for the afternoon Helsby-Ellesemere Port service.

Quote:
It is also true that none of its services serve food on the train not even the longer distance ones.
Yes. However, the only route that Northern currently have that used to have a trolley service on it under the previous operators is York to Blackpool

Last edited by hstudent; 27th January 2010 at 20:33.