View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2021, 07:07

G'day Strauss,
Your question has prompted me to dig out any SNCF cab ride You Tube video clips that I possess.
I am not able to stream on line video at home, but have over the years grabbed various video clips while at the library.
I have just viewed one, featuring a metre gauge third rail emu rural line, from Bolquere Eyne to Latour de Carol.
And, yes there does appear to be KM distance posts positioned along the line.
A small square white tableau with what appears to be blue or black numerals.
Though, the clip quality is not very good, and I am not able to read the digits displayed when pausing the playback.
Train speed is naturally not very rapid, and I have seen speed boards denoting 15 kms.
Track speed appears to be in the 30 to 35 kph range excluding sharp curves with reduced speeds.
There also appear to be slightly larger tableau in blue with white numerals positioned at level crossings.
These I can read and are in the 30s ascending for each crossing.
I have no idea just what these tableau indicate, but may relate to the actual kilometric of the crossing.
Scrounging, I have only found one additional clip, a DB cab ride from Widen to Wissembourg.
Arriving at Wissembourg the signals etc change from DB to SNCF.
There are two white square tableau posts displayed, one showing 59, the other showing 57.
These are TOO close together to be KM posts, but appear to be identical in size to those in the first clip.
So, I have no idea of the purpose.
I did think that I possess other SNCF cab ride clips, but have not managed to unearth them.
The other clips unearthed display some of the SNCF mechanical signals in operation.
The intriguing facet of foreign railways is the differing safe working systems employed.
Though, as computerized train control systems encroach everywhere, that difference will dwindle.
I did also chance upon the old Burt Lancaster flick The Train on late night TV here last nite.
Supposedly shot in France.
Viewing that, I did keep an eye peeled for any distance km posts displayed.
Alas, I did not espy anything seeming to be akin to a km distance post.
Still, an entertaining old timer flick.
Steve.