View Single Post
Old 10th March 2018, 12:24

Hi Steve, lots of interesting stuff there - as always.

I think the first question my mob would be asking is the approach pattern.

In the UK, the Rules state that entry or exit of a terminal platform is 15 mph (24 kph) maximum. Several of the companies I've worked for also have an in-house 'Driving Policy' for the maximum speed on approach of 10 mph (16 kPH) at a distance of 4 cars from the stops, and 5 mph (8 KPH) at one car length from the stops.

Actually I find these guidelines very helpful, as they give you something specific to aim for, and counter the urge to 'get it done quicker' as you run into a platform with all the 'hostile' passengers making rude gestures and tapping their watches.

Additionally there is TPWS (Linky here...Train Protection & Warning System) fitted on the approach to passenger buffer stops. These are mini-grids, set to trip at about 10 MPH (16 KPH). If I'm driving to all the above requirements, I should pass safely over the grids at about 7.5 MPH (12 KPH) without tripping the brakes. Usually.

Despite all of this though, low speed collisions do still occur. The two most recent here were a driver just completing the first long night turn, and a trainee grabbing the power handle at the last moment, instead of the brake - on the old type of train with separate handles. All our trains now only have CPBCs (Combined power & brake handles), where it's Forwards for brake & backwards for power.

Mind you, it's still just as easy to move it the wrong way when you're inexperienced, so that risk is just as prevalent IMHO.

BW