View Single Post
Old 22nd January 2018, 15:36

All shook up in smog hollow

G'day,
Richmond commuters were today all shook up when their train hit the buffer stop at sufficient speed to bounce it backwards.
The train was either an M (Millennium) or A (Waratah) set.
Richmond being the terminal station of the smog hollow suburban branch from Blacktown in the western suburbs.
With the station fronting Market Street, a huge concrete with sprung rams buffer stop protects the footpath and street.
A number of trains have hit this buffer stop previously, especially during wet weather.
An 8 car train does not have much spare platform space prior to this buffer stop.
Plus, the track dives down a 1 in 77 grade just prior to arriving at the station, so approach speed can be affected.
Had the train been a Tangarbage (Tangara set), plus it had been raining, then I could understand this incident.
The Tangara sets have a wheel slide sensor which when activated can release the EP and Westinghouse brake application.
Tangarbages have snotted a number of dead-ends over the years.
How ever, today was extreme heat with no rain.
Plus, I don't know the braking characteristics of either the M or A sets.
With Sydney Trains union threatening strike action, probably the first rail strike to occur in a decade, this incident has added tension.
So, I will eagerly await the Rail Regulator incident report being published.
The original Richmond branch continued beyond Richmond for a further 11 kms to climb the 1 in 30 to Kurrajong.
But, this segment was closed in 1952.
Prior to electrification of the Richmond branch, services were provided by two car DMU sets.
There then being ample platform length for just two cars to safely land.
Another two recent incidents will add to my report reading schedule.
On tuesday southbound SCT interstater 2BM9 collided with the platform awning at Maitland station.
Apparently a tall container was plonked on the wrong flat wagon making it out of gauge.
Next on friday, a northbound interstater derailed at Telarah.
Steve.