Thread: Post Trains.
View Single Post
Old 1st April 2008, 00:08

I think as an aside to your views and comments on the recent mail train operations on the WCML gents, you have to remember the basic rules under which British Railways did its business in the old days ,
They were classified as Common carriers, which left them with unsurmountable problems as to what they were undertaking to carry, and delivery processes.mail was easy...it was delivered to and collected from trains en route, by Royal mail vehicles, how ever other parcels /freight were the responibilty of the railways until it was delivered,
with the onset of too much road freight space being available, the railways were unable to survive.
road became the new modern way, and we started getting our mail 2 days after posting instead of one ...need I say more ???
bring back the T,P,O,s i say at least you knew your mail was arriving safely not via a sorting office in Preston ,where amazingly 17 cards and letters to my Grandchildren in Blackpool have gone missing, (all containing money I might add)
yes bring back the Mail Trains ...
they were worth the extra 1 d postage..
Best regards Derby