View Single Post
Old 24th January 2010, 13:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchester Kurt View Post
Every single station had multiple posters up advertising the free travel, including on the ticket machines.

The trams had posters in them for weeks in advance.

Metrolink web site had the details on it.

Local newspapers, television and radio had many reports on the free travel.

Regular announcments were made on the PA on every station.

What additionally could have been done to let the public know about the free travel?
If that was the case it was only done for the second free travel day after confusion during the first free travel day.

On the free Saturday travel day I did:
Altrincham-Cornbrook-Harbour City
Harbour City-Piccadilly Gardens
Market Street-Piccadilly
Piccadilly-Altrincham

The only stop I saw a notice at was Altrincham where a hand written sign by the ticket office staff had been put up.

I was at Altrincham station for 40 minutes before getting the train back to Knutsford and there wasn't any PA annoucements by Metrolink. I was also at Harbour City and Cornbrook for more than 10 minutes and again there was no PA annoucements.

While waiting at Piccadilly someone asked me if I knew where they could get a ticket from as the ticket machines were out-of-order. I tried to explain to them it was a free travel day but they wouldn't believe me without first asking staff. I looked around for a poster explaining the free travel at Piccadilly and there wasn't one.

The Metrolink website and local media did report it for the Saturday but that was it.