View Single Post
Old 23rd February 2010, 01:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H-T View Post
First I have to say that I know nothing about Modern Traction overhaul schedules so what follows is probably a load of rubbish!

Where would an F exam fit in compared to Steam schedules? Is it the equivelent of a Heavy General or is more of a total rebuild like Stanier's rebuild of the Royal Scots? At what sort of milage/engine hours would it take place? At what sort of time interval is it likely to take place? : 5, 10, 20 years?

Looking back at the more successful first generation Diesels, eg 37,47, many of them went through a major refurbishment after about 20-25 years to bring them in line with changing requirements and give them a thorough overhaul to make them fit for another 20-25 years which worked particularly for the 37's. The HST's have also gone through the same process with re-engine programmes etc.

Is this where the 60's are at present? If so is £500,000 such a big deal when set agianst replacing them? Or is it easier just to run them into the ground, which seems to be the case, and then buy/lease new. I suppose the logical replacement for the 60's, if they prove successful, would be the new 70's. It would seem that the 66's would not really do all the jobs the 60's do.

Looking at it another way the 60's are now 20 years old and probably need major work so replace them. I wonder how many of the original 66's will still be in use in 2018! So next year after the design has been tested and evaluated can we expect to see the 60's replaced with 70's?

A lot of thoughts to which I have no answers! I am also looking at it purely on a commercial basis not as a railway enthusiast! I hope some of you might have some answers or at least ideas!

I would be also be grateful for a quick run down of what the A-E exams entail.

Many thanks in anticipation.

John H-T.
The crux of the matter is that EWS/DB Shencker will not pay to replace the now worn out class 60's, firstly they don't need to at present,any heavy train (2000-3000 tonnes) worked by class 60's will be worked by two class 66's in multiple,the reason being that freight traffic is in "freefall" and they have a surplus of loco's,to accommodate "multiple" working.As for replacing them with class 70's have you seen their track record since introduction ?
DBS certainly wouldn't be interested in "buying" any loco in today's climate and I doubt whether a "leasing" company would be interested at the moment to "buy" class 70's !
As regards exams on loco's I don't know the system used today but everything used to be related to "engine hours" not mileage completed,an "A" exam used to be a running exam,comestible levels ,brake wear,electrical circuits etc. carried out weekly I think.
As to B,C,D and E exams I think everything was changed with the introduction of more modern motive power (class 66/67) and the exam times were extended considerably,but alas the 56/58/60 class locos were serviced under the "old system" making them more expensive to run/maintain ?
Its the same with cars really at one time you changed your oil at 3000 miles now with "modern" cars its 10000 miles or even further !
But an "F" exam still means the same, a virtual rebuild which costs "mega bucks" and when you own the loco you have to pay !