View Single Post
Old 22nd February 2010, 21:22
Station Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Aman View Post
An "F Exam" is a virtual rebuild,apart from frames and bodywork replacement.
First I have to say that I know nothing about Modern Traction overhaul schedules so what follows is probably a load of rubbish!

Where would an F exam fit in compared to Steam schedules? Is it the equivelent of a Heavy General or is more of a total rebuild like Stanier's rebuild of the Royal Scots? At what sort of milage/engine hours would it take place? At what sort of time interval is it likely to take place? : 5, 10, 20 years?

Looking back at the more successful first generation Diesels, eg 37,47, many of them went through a major refurbishment after about 20-25 years to bring them in line with changing requirements and give them a thorough overhaul to make them fit for another 20-25 years which worked particularly for the 37's. The HST's have also gone through the same process with re-engine programmes etc.

Is this where the 60's are at present? If so is £500,000 such a big deal when set agianst replacing them? Or is it easier just to run them into the ground, which seems to be the case, and then buy/lease new. I suppose the logical replacement for the 60's, if they prove successful, would be the new 70's. It would seem that the 66's would not really do all the jobs the 60's do.

Looking at it another way the 60's are now 20 years old and probably need major work so replace them. I wonder how many of the original 66's will still be in use in 2018! So next year after the design has been tested and evaluated can we expect to see the 60's replaced with 70's?

A lot of thoughts to which I have no answers! I am also looking at it purely on a commercial basis not as a railway enthusiast! I hope some of you might have some answers or at least ideas!

I would be also be grateful for a quick run down of what the A-E exams entail.

Many thanks in anticipation.

John H-T.