View Single Post
Old 19th March 2018, 12:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRP View Post
Hi BW.

Interesting, never heard of Networkers (class 465?) working down here (but then they wouldn't if they foul the platforms!) Was this a trial to try to use them on the Hastings lines? Anyway, probably at West St Leonards as this has platforms on a very tight curve, and until recent years had to have check rails due to the severity of the curve.
Hi Tony, this is going back a bit in time, so my memory may not be 100%.

Yes the Networkers never actually got there. Here's why. (You're probably well versed with the info here, but I've provided links for those who may not be).

My first driving job was at Misery Farm (aka Orpington) depot driving 465/6 s (linky here..Class 465) round and round and round South London. After I left Connex South Eastern, the units were given a much-needed traction package rebuild. They were originally meant exclusively for suburban work, but when the toiletless 376 units (Linky here...Class 376) were introduced to suburbia, it was decided that the 465/6s should work further afield.

To this end, they looked at the Hastings line (link here...Hastings line). According to legend, the original builders made a hash of the tunnels and extra brick linings had to be added for integrity. This messed up the loading gauge, and cause a legacy of 'slim trains' to be specially required for that line. Linky...Lovely old Hastings Thumpers

This in turn caused infrastructure to follow suit. And the net effect of that was that when they attempted to run a 465 gauging train down there, they very quickly found that the unit's step plates would be foul of the platform edges. Not that this came as any surprise to the railwaymen/women involved, but it had to be established officially.

The quickest solution was to deploy the 465s elsewhere, IIRC off to the Maidstone line and other places. And not spend any money.

However I believe that when the wider Electrostars came along to be used on Kent Coast & Sussex services, Nitwit Rule had to dip into their pockets and move the platform edges back to the gauge.

Anyhow, this is the 'Official Rumor'. If you know any real facts, you can probably set me right.

Best wishes, BW