Thread: Just joined
View Single Post
Old 27th August 2014, 11:37

Thanks to you all!I probably will be an infrequent poster but will do my best!When I left school at 15 I went straight to W.G.Bagnalls at "castle engine works"(still there on google).
The factory was built in 1840 and parts of it where showing its age!I was put on centre lathes and within three/four weeks left to get on with whatever was thrown at me!Lots of small parts were cast in the factory foundry and ended up with me having the faces skimmed ,sandbox tops and brake flanges that sort of stuff , also some bearing boxws and bits for cabs!The lathe next to my three was a big one and was used for turning axles and then I had to assist setting them up as it was a big job.At the end of the works was a new erecting shed in which Brush/Bagnall diesel loco chassis were erected(D5500 onwards)I made the sandbox lids for these and I saw them in the nat museum York where D5500(with a diff number!)resides.It was an interesting job but factory safety was not very good then and there was a fatal accident to an apprentice so I decided to leave and joined the RAF !!!

Last edited by 41225; 27th August 2014 at 11:42. Reason: missed letter