View Single Post
Old 18th July 2018, 06:27

G'day BW,
A chopper pilot, aye.
Just don't come flapping anywhere near my hovel.
My whole hovel shakes during the nightmare october car race event on the Mount.
Joy rider choppers thumping over me hovel in convoy every couple of minutes at VERY low altitude.
Yes, our suburban emu sets with resistance could not re-instate resistance.
You had to shut off and begin again.
But, our pair of electric locos, 85 and 86 class did permit re-instating resistance during manual notching to deter wheel slip.
Holding notch on our emu sets was Notch 1.
Whereas, holding notch on them electrics was notch 2.
To add a bank of resistance, while still in resistance, you stepped down to notch 1 and then return to notch 2.
Ya naturally can't do this once stepped out of resistance and in full field.
Them old Metro Vickers butter boxes were totally manual with relays.
You could notch back to add resistance should wheel-slip occur.
You could also Motor in Regen with them butter boxes.
On a light load train, but only in series or series-parallel, you could set them up in regen going down hill.
Then, hands free, when the train reached the bottom of the hill and commenced to climb, they would go from regen into power.
Hey Mum, Look NO hands.
Great fun.
But, you didn't do this if you were in a hurry.
On our Tangarbage emu sets, you could knock out the regen by taking notch one power while applying the brake.
SHHHSHHH! Don't tell management, you would definitely get pinged for such caper.
Doing this would keep the set in starting series power and only apply the EP brake.
But, I DID NOT TELL you this.
HA!
Yes, the regen kicks out at around 5 kph to become all EP when braking in normal method.
Them Tangarbages were also easier to manipulate in Westinghouse air brake as they have a modicum of graduated release.
But, the Chopper sets (C sets) being the first to possess thyrister chopper gate power control, were even better fun.
You could manually notch them up in series.
Steve.