View Single Post
Old 30th December 2011, 22:09
Station Manager

My Modular Layout

Together with other members of my Model Railway Club I am building a module for the club's new moduler layout. As always things moved slowly at first so although I started gathering materials together in July, my idea for a Brewery Layout has already appeared in Model Rail and Model Rail Live produced by Chris Nevard. At least I was able to pinch one or two of his ideas including the wagon turntable! (represented on the last photo by a square of white paper.)

Progress was also slowed down while we reached a decision on the size of each module and how the modules had to meet. One main line is on the centreline and the other offset by 50 mm. The boards are 1100mm by 400mm.

I like to plan full size starting with a sheet of wallpaper backing paper and then progressing to the base boards once they were built. I have decided to have a second board behind the main board to give more depth. The layout can also be self contined with two short fiddle yards.

I wanted the loop to be capable of handling a four wagon train plus brakevan pulled by an 0-6-0T. Brewery shunters are a Hornby L&Y Pug and a Model Rail Sentinel, which allows wagons to be shunted into the brewery two at a time.

The first 3 photos show planning at the paper stage and the last two on the boards. The final photo after I can given the boards a coat of brown emusion paint. I decided to lay one sheet of cork on the front board covering the whole area where track is to be laid. The last photo shows planning to find where the cork will be trimed, hence the masking tape to prevent the cork sticking to the baseboard where it is not required.

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PA127054RF.jpg (58.7 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg PA137061RF.jpg (58.8 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg PB037438RF.jpg (69.9 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg PB107459RF.jpg (96.7 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg PC057466RF.jpg (81.6 KB, 58 views)
Belper Model Railway Group.