View Single Post
Old 16th September 2010, 19:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62440 View Post
I don't know which rule book the Nene Valley Railway work to but the British Railways 1950 one says the following in rule 153.

(a) A freight train must not be run on any running line beyond station limits without a brake van in rear, unless authorised by the Operating Superintendent.
(b) Where a freight train is authorised to run without a brake van in rear, a brake van, or other suitable vehicle, for the use of the man in charge of such train, must be attached-when it can be conveniently done- as near to the rear of the train as practicable. Where no such vehicle is available the man may ride on the engine. A tail signal must be carried on the last vehicle.

It would seem that if authorised by the Nene Valley's Operating Superintendent it would have been perfectly acceptable. As I said above , I don't know which rule book the Nene Valley adopted back in, was it 1976? when they opened?

I don't have a gradient profile for the Nene Valley Railway, but would estimate the ruling gradient to be approx 1 in 1500, it's damn near flat all the way.

Regards, 62440.
many thanks for your info which does clarify,however ,next to the loco can in no way be described as close to rear of train as possible and as a preserved railway surely the demonstration should have been showing the norm rather than the exception, or am I just being pedantic ? after all, many visitors to preserved railways never ever saw an unfitted goods train.