View Single Post
Old 22nd January 2009, 20:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60159 View Post
.....................What on earth got you into Swiss Trains? .... or is that a dark secret?!!!

Mike
In the early 70's when I started to lose interest in chasing women (after getting married ) I rediscovered railways and it seemed like a good idea to try and build a layout. At the time space was very limited so I decided to go with British N-gauge. I built a few layouts over the next 15 or so years but I became more and more dissatisfied with the poor quality of most of the British N-gauge locos. Some of the diesels were OK but decent running steam locos were virtually non existent. This coincided with my first visit to Switzerland and I soon fell in love with their excellent railway system which seemed to have the efficiency of a modern electric system whilst still retaining much of the atmosphere that had long since disappeared from British railways. This interest in Swiss railways combined with the much higher quality Swiss N-gauge models converted me almost immediately. I sold all my British equipment and I have been with Swiss outline ever since.
With the takeover of Graham Farish by Bachmann and the emergence of firms like Dapol, the quality of British N-gauge has improved considerably but I doubt if I will ever return to it especially as I now have over 70 locos.