View Single Post
Old 6th December 2020, 02:46

The cost of overhead supply was reputed to be one reason why the NSWR electric loco fleet was kyboshed here approaching privatization.
After the schism in 1994 / 1995 when the SRA was split up into individual operational facets, Frightcorp was charged for all overhead usage.
That including raising a pan in LMC depot to test a unit after maintenance.
Originally the NSWR had it's own power stations to generate current for the overhead.
Being dispatched to the numerous substations enroute.
But, them power stations were kyboshed and power acquired from domestic generation plants.
I would imagine that a main reason for the kybosh of our electric loco fleet being the relative short distance of overhead travel in the general scheme of things.
AND, that our woeful 1500 volt DC overhead is today outmoded for heavy freight haulage.
Quad weasels can drag much more black diamond tonnage over them Blue Mountains than could our buzz boxes.
And, no need to stop to swap motive power where that junk in the atmosphere starts swinging.
As more of the private autonomous metro sneaks around smog hollow, plus the private light rail dingus encroaches the suburbs, I do fear for the longevity of the governmental commuter heavy rail network.
We had the opportunity to convert the smog hollow network to 25 kVA back in the 1980s.
But, the pricetag was enormous.
Plus, politically threatening with the enormous disruption to the network.
Suburban emus replaced with omnibuses for many months.
The cattle would go berserk.
Just how much moolah them private Metro and SLR mobs are charged for the overhead supply consumption, I have no idea.
Yes there is a trammie motorman at the helm of them SLR dingi.
But, NO hogger at the helm of them autonomous Metro dingi.
No tailgunner neither.
Hence big cost saving right there.
The vast electrified network in Bananaland is also dwindling in freight usage.
Weasels returning after privatization.
The QR adopted 25 kVA from the start in 1978.
Hence the QR coalies were massive for narrow gauge, two buzz boxes up front and two remotely controlled mid train buzz boxes.
But, I would guess that the cost of overhead supply was enormous.
That system supplied from domestic generation.
Far fewer buzz boxes drag freighters around the QR network today.
Steve.