View Single Post
Old 17th September 2006, 20:54

I have Bachman:- Pannier Tank, Royal Scot, Ivatt class 2 tank (new), and Hornby Black 5.

The intial problem was with the long rigid wheelbase of the pannier tank and the Scot hitting the frog. As in hitting a solid wall.... clunk.

I then shaved a bit (well a lot) off the frog and then found that the wheels started to drop into the much larger frog. So much so, that the pannier tank laid down on its side for a rest!

Pushing the Scot tender through the points gave noticably increased rolling resistance from a "pinching" effect. There is some side play in the Bachman wheels, but nothing like the Hornby Black 5

I then tried to ease out the gauge - but by this time I was using a cold chisel and lump hammer .

We spent the rest of the afternoon running all of the locos through the points OK in the trailing direction, once I had wedged the blades up with cardboard strips, but didnt try facing direction again.

Anyway, mindfull of probably some amazing scenic layouts in this forum , i darent show any photos. But imagine:- green painted MDF, with a grey paint ribbon as ballast for my layout that has to be carried out to the garage and stood on its end when not in use. My layout is as attached:-

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a27...nk/Layout2.jpg