View Single Post
Old 7th December 2016, 21:13

I've only just happened on your Andoversford model photos. They have brought back to me memories of the time when, as a boy, I used the station fairly often. I lived for a time within walking distance of Cheltenham South and Leckhampton station, where I could catch a train to Andoversford to visit my grandparents, all four of whom lived there. I have a strong memory of leaving things to the last moment to catch the train home, and toiling up the slope to the station with the train already at the platform! Another memory is of seeing troop trains heading southwards, probably in preparation for D-day: on one occasion an uncle of mine came with me to wave to the soldiers when a train crossed over the A40 as it left the station. One of the soldiers threw something from a window, and my uncle went across the road to find it in the long grass at the foot of the embankment - a Mars bar! Seeing the model took me right back there, as if it were yesterday, and I am so grateful to you for allowing me to indulge in a spot of nostalgia.