View Single Post
Old 6th September 2019, 05:19

G'day Rick,
We have some preserved stations in regional areas down-under.
One in my region, Rydal, is occupied and utilized as a BnB style.
Plus, it remains as a "flag stop" halt for the Rocket (XPT).
No railway staff.
I had thought that the newbie crossing loop being inserted in the single line section from Wallerawang to Tarana might be reinstated as was at Rydal.
The section originally being double track with Down and UP direction platforms at Rydal.
But, the newbie crossing loop is south west of the station, which remains just a single track platform.
I am also curious about a specific style of platform that I squizzed in a recent flick on TV.
It was dubbed ICE SHOWERS.
And portrayed the New York etc state region during the 1970s.
A supposed Pen Central emu commuter train, two cars, was featured briefly.
The rural station, which I now forget the name of, had a weird arrangement for the elevated platform.
Individual dais style short platforms existed for each car door of the train, with steps descending to the ground from each dais.
I am wondering if this was indeed a Pennsy, Pen Central, NYC, style elevated platform, or that such was purely produced for the flick.
I have googled to no avail in regard to such a platform design.
Perchance, as added impact for the severe ice conditions supposedly experienced.
I am aware that Pennsy, Pen Central had high level platforms on commuter lines.
Whereas, the majority of other USRR station platforms are ground level or slightly above.
But, this style portrayed in the flick would pose operational dramas should the train overshoot the platform dais sections.
The cattle then tumbling down to the ground from the car doors.
Steve.