View Single Post
Old 26th December 2009, 09:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H-T View Post
Now that we know that Hornby is to do a new version of the 28XX in 2010, a couple of questions Toddington Ted (or anyone else in the know!):

1. Is 2807 now fitted with inside or outside steam pipes?

2. What livery is she going to be outshopped in?

I need to know so I can select the right Hornby version to renumber as 2807.

Hope everyone has had a great Christmas.

Best wishes,

John H-T.
John H-T

I'm very pleased to see an updated version of this loco will be produced by Hornby. I wonder if they will go the whole way and produce another version with the Collett cab, fire iron tunnel etc for a 2884 class!
2807 was fitted with outside steampipes between 1936 and 1937. A photo taken at Severn Tunnel Jct in June 1937 clearly shows the loco in this guise with Dean pattern buffers fitted and also a tall safety valve bonnet. The livery appears to be the late 1930s livery with the "shirtbutton" badge on the tender. (I do have a photo but cannot seem to attach it at present, but I'll see what I can do). So, historically, this 1937 condition is the earliest livery that 2807 could be restored to today. However, to be absolutely accurate (and pedantic) in its current form, 2807 should really only run in BR unlined black (a livery which suited these locos rather better than some other ex-GWR types I think).

However, as far as I'm aware, 2807 will be outshopped in a GWR green livery but I'm not sure which one. The "shirtbutton" livery is not my personal favourite but historically it is the oldest one that 2807 could carry with outrside steampipes. We could, I suppose, outshop it in original condition (as it was in October 1905) but that would need some serious surgery, even to the smokebox, as 2807 was not superheated when first built and had inside steampipes and straight drop front ends to the frames as can be seen in the photo of "sister" loco 2803 (which was also a long lived 28xx but did not survive).

This link can tell you more:

http://www.gwr2807.fsnet.co.uk/gallery.htm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 190503[1].jpg (25.8 KB, 9 views)