View Single Post
Old 25th August 2019, 05:03

Just spending my two bobs worth.
There are two types of air brake tap.
One which is OPEN when the handle is aligned along the pipe, CLOSED when the handle is aligned across the pipe.
Here the handle is usually pointing vertically upwards when the tap is CLOSED for the train brake pipe.
The handle is horizontally across the pipe to close on the Main Reservoir and also number 3 and number 4 air hoses on a locomotive.
The second which is OPEN when the handle is aligned across the pipe, CLOSED when the handle is aligned along the pipe.
Here, thankfully, ours are the first type described.
I would find it most confusing if encountering the second type described.
I believe that the second style was adopted after some situations occurred when the vertically aligned CLOSED tap handle vibrated downwards during transit and thereby opened the air pipe to vent at the rear vehicle.
I know of another incident when a train parted in transit and the separated air hose flew up and actually closed the tap by hitting the handle and forcing it upwards into the closed position.
The train front portion travelled for a distance due to the now rear wagon tap being closed and consequently no air loss to apply the brakes.
Here we also possess the Flow Meter for indication of brake pipe air flow.
The flow meter will activate when ever air flow occurs in the train brake pipe.
And, it continues to operate until the air pressure is restored to that set for running purposes.
Making a train brake application to check for continuity when only the locomotive has the air brake functioning results in a very brief operation of the flow meter.
Recharging the brake pipe after a brake application on a train results in a longer operation of the flow meter, depending upon train length and number of wagons.
This is where modern day role diversion has muddied the water.
ALL guards were responsible for checking the brake pipe continuity test from the rear wagon air gauge.
However, today, I don't believe that the supposed Train Manager performs this task.
It is the responsibility of the two man loco crew to perform any air brake tests.
SO, with single man loco crewing, WHO now performs the test in conjunction with the driver ?
Steve.