View Single Post
Old 11th October 2013, 17:00

Thanks for this, Coronation Scot, to me it is really interesting. Those guys at Boston are “old,” I would be 18 at that time. I worked as a clerk at the Skegness Camp. To raise some money for moving on at the end of the season I took a part time job, 10pm till 2am, guarding among other things, Royal Scot. Only had one problem with the loco: I saw a youth climbing over the surrounding fence, before I could get to him he had painted the controls and dials with white paint that was in the cab and had been used for white lining the wheels. He joined the rest of the trouble makers marching off to Skegy in the middle of the night after being evicted.
Looking on the internet recently I see it was delivered to the camp with great fanfare and a pipe band. I was there and didn’t even know, but then it was the swinging sixties, work, beer, and rock and roll. Does bring home to me how isolated we were. Puzzled by some talk of a Profumo guy, on a visit out of the camp, and something about a big train robbery later on, and missed the Malaysian Confrontation completely.