View Single Post
Old 30th December 2019, 08:23

Trams return to George Street smog hollow

After an absence of 58 years, trams again rattle along George Street in smog hollow Sydney.
The capitalistic SLR commenced in 1997 to usurp part of the disused freight railway in the Darling Harbour region of smog hollow.
It now slinks along the entire section of the disused freight line to Balmain and Darling Harbour from Dulwich Hill.
I have fond memories of working coalies along this railway towards Rozelle yard and Balmain.
But, smog hollow residents didn't want dirty coalies shuddering through their suburbs and this section of the Metrop Goods lines was closed.
White Bay wharf area today only servicing cruise ships.
The SLR mob desired to slink along George Street to Circular Quay.
After many dramas and delays, barely a week ago, well behind schedule, the SLR now slinks along George Street.
Mind you, pedestrians are not jumping for joy when they step on the central power rail embedded in the street.
Why, I hear you ask, does the overhead supply cease at Town Hall to become embedded in the concrete ?
I don't know.
Maybe the Queen Victoria building mob didn't want catenary junk marring the visage.
But, I must say that getting rid of some of the congestion of private vehicles from sections of George Street is a bonus.
If I wanna go to Circular Quay from Central, I can ride the three stops freebie on the Governmental underground Railway, or hoof the 2.5 kms which only takes about 45 minutes.
Such a hoof would be much quicker if many more intersections were removed and the stinking private vehicles totally banished from the smog hollow CBD.
Steve.
https://www.railwayforum.net/gallery...eet_sydney.jpg