View Single Post
Old 13th December 2019, 11:24

Back again.

Actually someone mentioned the new 755 trains when I was at the Salt Mine yesterday, and I've just twigged what's happened here. RAIB have given us some clues in their initial report...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAIB Report
The level crossing equipment was installed in 2000 and includes a predictor system which detects the speed of approaching trains so that the time interval between barriers being lowered and a train arriving is similar for all trains, irrespective of their speed.

The train was part of a new fleet which had been operating passenger services on this line since 6 November 2019.

Since the incident, Network Rail has modified the settings of this and similar level crossings on the line to reduce the chance of a repeat of this incident.

Our investigation will identify the sequence of events which led to the incident. It will also consider:

*the design, implementation and operation of the predictor system, including any effects of rail head contamination due to fallen leaves
*the design of relevant elements of the class 755 train and the process for accepting it for use on this route
*any underlying factors.
Any passengers trying to use Greater Anglia services at the moment are experiencing massive delays and cancellations. Remember that RAIB said..."We are considering....the design of relevant elements of the class 755 train and the process for accepting it for use on this route" It appears that GA's brand-spanking new 'LEGO' trains (well that's what the 755s look like) are throwing up some real problems and many have been withdrawn from service. A little bird told me that their wheel flanges are different from existing stock, and may not be operating the sensors fully. I'm a bit sceptical about this, but several different sources have mentioned it. It certainly sounds like RAIB thinks that the 755s have entered service without being fully route-assessed. Hmmm.

Also, with respect to the 'Predictor System', this route is being used to trial the new crossing technology for ERTMS (The so-called 'Digital Railway' and that In-Cab signalling shenanigans). I wonder if this Predictor System, which I've never heard of before is an ERTMS trial, and is not the prime culprit as far as this incident is concerned.

As ever, we await the investigation with bated breath.

Cheers, BW

Last edited by Beeyar Wunby; 15th December 2019 at 08:50.