View Single Post
Old 24th April 2011, 11:16

Interesting I think.
It wasn't too long ago that shunters in parts of Australia were still allowed to hop on & off moving rollingstock.
As the video shows there is a technique involved that minimizes the risk of injury.
In this day and age though, the management are so concerned about covering their backsides that, although some of the safety initiatives are a step forward in natural health and safety progression, they have taken it way too far in some instances.
I know in my role working on track, after an unfortunate incident that resulted in the deaths of two colleagues, the knee jerk reaction virtually stopped us from accessing the track to get any maintenance done. Only when some equipment began to fail did they let us “bend “their new rules to get trains running again.

These new “safe working " rules were introduced by management and lawyers that have zero track experience, but plenty of rear end covering experience.
Common sense should prevail, certainly rules are necessary, and have indeed been in place in ever increasing increments to suit different scenarios, however, most workers are responsible enough to take ownership of their own safety, if not, their mates on the job with them certainly will let them know.

One thing is for sure though; this is a very complex issue that has very strong support for both sides of the argument.

My Blog

http://sbjdag.blogspot.com.au/