Thread: Newbie
View Single Post
Old 29th January 2021, 20:01

Yes, that looks a good book to me. This one is purely the locomotives (so is probably the best place to start) - the one I was going to suggest (in the same series) covers all locomotives, multiple units, coaches, wagons and on-track plant:
http://www.crecy.co.uk/abc-rail-guide-2020

Depends how much you want to look into - up to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecras234 View Post
Hi yes i've been watching videos on youtube of 66 locos and 56 locos and i noticed that the 66 locos have a pointed roof whereas the 56 have a curved rounded roof.

I watch the Crewe webcam on youtube and in the chat people talk about what's coming in and their numbers, how do they know the numbers when you can't see the number on the train and before it comes in they know what number it is. For instance a colas was due in so i tuned in to watch it, this guy in the chat said oh a colas 56 is coming in, im thinking how do you know it's a 56? I asked him but he didn't answer.
So frustrating.

This morning i was watching the Crewe webcam and a yellow loco passed, i saw in the chat that someone said that was a 37 and another person said no it was a 97. To add to my frustration, all these train numbers i don't understand. What can i do to learn all these trains and numbers so that when i go on the Crewe webcam i'll know what they're talking about?
With regard to this, it is largely down to experience I'm afraid - you just get used to want you see all the time (and one of these books would probably help).
And the yellow loco - to add to the confusion, they were both right in some respects. Officially, these are Network Rail class 97s, but were originally built as class 37s and they were re-classified as class 97 when they were transferred into departmental service and refurbished for Network Rail use.

Tony

Last edited by TRP; 30th January 2021 at 09:12.