View Single Post
Old 15th July 2008, 18:04

First of all, may I apoligise for not replying sooner, I've been on holiday and have only just rediscovered the thread, I can assure that I wasn't just being ignorant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghut View Post
I'm not quite sure what you're referring to here. You haven't mentioned any specific traction type. Are you comparing disc brakes of modern stock with vacuum brakes of heritage traction ? If so there's bound to be a difference.

1) I wonder under what circumstances they use emergency braking on the East Lancs ? Running brake tests are usually carried out at full service brake or considerably less, as you're only looking for retardation. Emergency braking often causes wheel flats, especially on stock not fitted with wheelside protection (the railway eqiuvalent of ABS on cars) .

2) Where are you passing signals at danger ? And hopefully this is with the signaller's authority (though you don't say ) ?

TIA,
Foggy
Right, I was talking about the metrolink. And you're quite correct, i was comparing modern and old braking systems, a point I overlooked. On the East Lancs we use the emergency brakes when the line is obstructed, such as when we get kids messing about on the line. We also brake quite sharpish when a passenger deciedes to open a door after we've left the station. On the East Lancs we class that as emergency braking, but I don't know whether it techinacally speaking is. I've never known an East Lancs train to ass a signal at danger, although that's not to say it's never happened of course. I've been on trams which have been authorised to pass a signal at danger a few times on Metrolink, which is what I was referring to. I hope that clears things up, and once again sorry for the delay.