View Single Post
Old 6th July 2008, 07:57

Quote:
I'm interested in these conversations even though I don't entirely "understand" everything as it stands but I like to pick stuff up and learn so it's all good.
Yes that's true for all of us. It's such a vast subject that there's always something new to learn. This forum is a handy place as there's such a wealth of knowledge on here.

When I emphasise the expression "with authority" I'm not suggesting any willful transgression. Because passing a signal at danger without permission (aka having a SPAD) is the BIG one on the railway nowadays, we always drop the expression "with authority" into the sentence because it makes it quite clear to everyone listening that you didn't SPAD it. I was actually having a little nag and trying to suggest that using this phrase is a good habit to get into - a question of semantics rather than an accusation of attemted manslaughter .

(For reference: There are situations where a driver can choose to pass a signal at danger without getting the signaller's permission, but when he does so it's in compliance with the Rulebook and is classified as doing it under his own authority - so he's still done it with authority).

HTH,
Foggy