View Single Post
Old 22nd July 2019, 07:14

G'day,
The UK Rail Accident Investigation Branch will no doubt publish a report about this tragic incident.
Though, where fatalities are involved, and possible civil litigation, such reports can take many months.
Speculation is only just that prior to the official report being published.
The Rail industry can be a dangerous occupation if things do not go according to hoyle.
Today, with privatization, various contractors bid for work.
That is not to say that serious accidents did not occur under governmental operation.
Accidents have naturally occurred over the years and will sadly continue to occasionally occur.
Communication between all parties involved can be one facet that can become a factor.
I am definitely not suggesting that communication may have been a factor in this Port Talbot incident.
But, will offer some parallels.
I think that I posted a comment concerning a recent NTSB report about a NYC Transit incident.
But, cannot find it in the threads.
https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/...ts/RAB1903.pdf
In which the lack of communication resulted in two contractors being hit by a subway train.
I remember an incident from many moons ago on the Blue Mountains.
During a pea souper fog, an eastbound freighter slammed into a large excavator on the track.
The impact being such that the excavator was a crumpled mess and the operator killed.
The engine mount bolts sapped in two of the 80 class locos, them donks stomping their way forwards.
The Lithgow lads thankfully survived with non-life threatening injuries.
That excavator remained beside the track for some time, and I shuddered at the sight each time I rattled past.
The excavator operator was an eager newbie and jumped on track before the necessary worksite protection was in place.
In early 2010, I espied an ad in the local rag for a qualified flagman.
So, I dialed the digits and spoke to the rail contractor.
They desired a short term casual flagman to perform worksite protection in the local region.
As I had been absent from the footplate for well over 12 months, I had lost my accreditation.
The contractor desired a local applicant to avoid payment of expenses to a person from outside the region.
That flagman would be the singular flagman utilized being required to relocate to either end of the worksite in accordance with train approach.
I balked at the suggestion that I would need to splurge the in excess of $1,000.oo moolah to revamp qualifications.
Just on the off chance of snagging a few days casual employment.
Plus, factoring the fuel consumption utilized in my own vehicle to change ends of the worksite.
So, told them GOOD LUCK in my usual polite manner.
Then in may, I witnessed a rail incident report on the local TV news.
The westbound XPT had slammed into a excavator on the track up near Newbridge.
The excavator operator was killed, and the train was amexed (cancelled) and substitute busses arranged.
https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications...r/ro-2010-004/
It transpired that the contractor applied for the necessary Track Occupancy Authority from Train Control after the XPT had entered the section between Bathurst and Newbridge.
But, BEFORE the XPT was clear of the Newbridge end of section, being a 33 km single line section.
The rail cutter plus excavator operator jumped on the track before the necessary worksite protection had been put in place.
Just a three man work crew which included the Protection Officer but NO flagman.
No signalmen sprinkled around the boonies of the rail network to keep an eye on things no more.
Just a singular remote Train Control which is responsible for a huge region and multiple train movements.
Communication and UNDERSTANDING become ever more important.
Steve.