View Single Post
Old 17th February 2016, 07:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolution View Post
I have to say, I'm still totally baffled by this..... I cannot believe that the German Railway System could, under ANY circumstances, allow ANYONE to set conflicting routing in this day and age! EVEN IF THEY WANTED TO!!!!
Absolutely. The principle of signalling is only one train in one one block at any time.

There is a posibility though that the signaller incorrectly authorised one of the trains to pass a signal at danger. One of the initial reports by a passenger stated that the train which normally has to stop and wait for the line to clear, slowed down on the approach to the single line but then carried on.

In this country the signaller couldn't authorise a driver to just pass a signal at danger at the entrance to a single line. Because this is 'degraded working' the instructions require a pilotman to ride with each train - and he/she acts effectively as the Single Line Token.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rulebook Module P2 (Working Single & Bi-directional lines by Pilotman)

When working by pilotman must be introduced
Circumstances
Except as shown in section 1.2, working by pilotman must be
introduced when any of the following applies.
a) The token has been lost.
b) Trains have to work to and from the point of obstruction.
c) The signal controlling the entrance to a single or
bi-directional line cannot be cleared
or a movement
authority (MA) cannot be received by a train for any of the
following reasons.
1. The signal or signalling equipment has failed or has been
disconnected.
2. A track circuit has failed.
3. Level-crossing equipment has failed.
4. The token instrument has failed.
There's a hint in the Beeb article of some human wrong-doing, and not adhering to the rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Beeb
Human error by a train controller was to blame for a crash in Bavaria, Germany, last week that killed 11 people, prosecutors said.....

"If he had complied with the rules... there would have been no collision," said Chief Prosecutor Wolfgang Giese.
Strange. The German psyche is based very much on obeying rules - and I mean that with respect.

Hope this helps.

BW

Last edited by Beeyar Wunby; 17th February 2016 at 08:04.