View Single Post
Old 16th March 2014, 13:14

Southern Trains Running through Charing Cross 1940

Hi everyone!

This my first post on the forum so apologies if I have posted this in the wrong section of the forum.

I have just started a little project that involves recreating the interior of a train carriage that would have been running south from Charing Cross Station during the year 1940.

So far I have found two carriages that I think would be appropriate, these are the ones currently held at the Bluebell Railway, the Maunsell Open Third's that were built in the mid 1930's.

Im trying to find out for sure that these carriages would have run through Charing Cross during the year 1940 and It would be great to find out if there were any other styles of carriage that would have run that route.

For example if there was a 'corridor composite' style carriage that ran on this route then I would prefer to use that for my project.

Can any one suggest some good resources or books for me to look up that might detail the interior layout and dimensions of passenger carriages from the 1930's?

I have found the National Railway Museum in York and plan to go there soon, but it would be great to get a head start before I head up there.