View Single Post
Old 22nd March 2019, 09:13

Yo Steve

Jenny Agutter waving red bloomers. Meeeeeowwww ! A whole generation, myself included, fell in love with her for doing that. It's the only reason I joined the railway !

The real silliness revolves around 717s being designed for In-Cab Signalling only, when everybody could see that the Moorgate Line wouldn't be running ERTMS for the foreseeable future. So now there are sidings full of them, blocking the job.

They've had to retrofit 19th century tripcock arms to the units, and can only run them as 5-car units on the NCL because they have to stop one carriage short in order to be able to see the tunnel wall signals. And this on one of the most crowded London transport systems.

717s are derived from class 700s which have a beautiful cab with a panoramic window at the front. But the need for emergency end doors has kyboshed that arrangement. It's a pity they coudn't have slung the ladder under the body and put the egress door on the right. Trouble is they're worried about people getting zapped by the 3rd rail (even though the driver must kill the juice with a short-circuit bar before the pax are allowed down onto the line)

What a palaver.

(NB, I'm now learning how to author DVDs)

Cheers, BW.