View Single Post
Old 26th November 2007, 09:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_142 View Post
What i mean is that the majoity of the 142's exept five of them When under the Managment of First Group had a Refurbishment done by means of :- Cycle and Luggage rack added, New partitions at Driving ends of carrage, New Seat Covers, Purple Painted Panels, New under frame window pannels.

Which was the Refurbishment of all of them with the exeption of five plus the ones Refurbished to Merseytravel Specification and one of the five un refurbished ones is 142 005 and along with 142 029.

So Next time you see or travel on one Look at the Differnce but there are now only three un refurbished ones as two i beleve whent to First Great Western.
The only thing I've noticed with some former First North Western 142s is the lack of the red covering under the windows. I've probably assumed that if the cycle and luggage space is not at the end of the train that I'm in, it'd be at the other end.

Although, some people don't use the allocated space anyway. One morning I caught a 156 and a woman boarded with a bike and left by the toilet where it clearly "Do not leave bicycles or luggage in this area." When there was ample room at the other end of the 156. In the afternoon the same woman boarded a refurbished 150 and left her bike blocking the aisle in the same carriage as an empty cycle rack was located. The conductor did not make his or her way through that train.

I think it's logical that for passengers with bikes, luggage or baby's buggies to wait on the platform where they'd expect the middle of the train to stop, then as the train's stopping if you see the allocated space is at the front then you can make your way up to the front before the doors have been opened, or the back if there isn't room at the front.