View Single Post
Old 22nd April 2010, 09:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorky View Post
There are de-railers situated before the end of P 5 and 6 at Huddersfield. In the old days they used to freeze up when the train standing in P5 drew out and before the one in P 4 was ready to leave. Cotton waste, Paraffin and a box of matches used to be the cure. Probably be locked away as a terrorist now!
One Sunday night, a Huddersfield driver who will remain un named came into this platform from Wakefield too fast, and slammed into the buffers, and made a bit of a mess in the down bay platforms.(1981)
The only clue I will give is the name John.

Calder Loop, at Wakefield was always a popular spot for running out through the traps.
We had to run round trains in this location, the SPA trucks from Cardiff Rod Mill conveying coils of wire to Cobra.
The driver would hook off, come down to Cobra to pick up the shunter, then rr the train at the top end of the loop.
The loco was then hooked on, and shunter walked down to loop and did a brake test.
At this point after the test I always left the train brake blowing, so that the train could not move.
The shunter then phoned Kirkgate Box to tell him the train was ready from the SPT
When the signal came off the guard would radio the driver to tell him to propel into cobra. The air brake tap was then closed, the brake came off and the driver would propel the train at 3mph into the yard. This was done to make sure the train did not move until the traps were in the correct position.
The train had a length of 42 slu's
Now Cobra has closed.
I worked in and out of that Yard for over 25 years on a daily basis, and kept HM Guards/Shunters in work for that period of time.

Last edited by HM181; 22nd April 2010 at 09:48.