Thread: class 60s
View Single Post
Old 30th September 2010, 21:10

I have some very good news for diesel fans. Tonight I logged off for a bit and went down to the pub in hale (The Railway, which has a picture of a Princess Royal class on the sign) which I rarely do now nowadays. I always carry a local timetable for services at the station, which is 30yrds away. Now at about 20:05 the barriers began to lower, so looking at the timetable I saw that now passenger train was scheduled, so instead of standing outside the pub and watching as normal I downed the half I was drinking and went to the station.

I thought that it could be a diverted train, a ICI mineral Freight, or if I'm lucky a steam movement. As it turned out the freight was correct, and to my surprise a very grubby 60039 charged through at full pelt towards Manchester. I savoured the moment as best I could despite the train's high speed.

As the flashing light rounded thew corner I did not leave streaight away, but closed my eyes and listened to the rails singing, until it was too faint to hear.

Seems a bit much perhaps, but I may have just witnessed hsitory, at least personally, as I may not see another working now. I think that their withdrawal from service is a huge mistake, but nothing I can do to stop DBS ruining our railway.
I hope and pray one is preserved, and I have never said that about a diesel before.

The class 60: surely the best diesel locomotive to be produced by this country to date.