View Single Post
Old 5th October 2010, 23:23

When did you start trainspotting? 1961

How often to you go?I go locally perhaps two or three times a week as I am still working for a living.

What are the essential items you always take with you? Pencil/paper and British Railways fleet book

How does the 'trainspotter' stereotype make you feel? I have no problems with this.

Do you get much interest from members of the public? (pos/neg) sometimes they take an interest more inquisition as to what is happening when groups of people are lining the trackside.

What has been your best/worst experience? Best experience being hauled by 92220 "Evening Star" (at that time the last steam train to be built in this country) from Dorset to South Yorks approx 1963/4. Worst watching steamers being scrapped at Barry Island

What's the best/worst thing about the hobby? Best is the thrill of seeing something out of the ordinary, worst is the cost of rail travel in this country

How does it affect your day to day life? (if it does at all) the thought of walking the dogs by the side of the East Coast Main Line makes my working day easier to cope with, and something to look forward to.

Your favourite train model? (if there is such a thing.. sorry I'm still learning!) Love the Deltics and the Merchant Navy Class Steamers.

Has trainspotting inspired you to do anything else?/Do you have any related hobbies that have sprung from trainspotting? Yes photography comes to mind.

How does your wife/partner feel about your hobby? Do they come with you? When walking the dogs my partner comes with me but takes little notice of the motive power speeding by. She does tend to take the micky when she sees me getting excited.

Are there any 'slang' words used within the trainspotting community? Yes too many to list, hoover, chopper, Brush, lecky are but a few.

How would you feel if someone were to approach you while you were at a station and ask you a question? Would it be annoying? (I am planning on interviewing people at Clapham and taking photos but I don't want to be a pest) No I would respond in a friendly helpful manner.

Where are the best stations in London for spotting? Don't know as I am up in the North East. When I did travel however, I liked Paddington and Waterloo

Do you mind being called a 'trainspotter'? Yes, the term is a rail enthusiast