View Single Post
Old 5th October 2010, 16:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by horace View Post
I think you should tread carefully using the term trainspotter.To label all railway enthusiasts as train spotters I find very insulting.To me the term trainspotter or aircraft spotter is someone who simply collects the train serial number or aircraft registration number.Nothing wrong with doing this if this is what interests you.
However to describe a railway photographer,general railway enthusiast or working volunteer at preserved railway as a trainspotter is to my mind just taking a cheapshot at rediculing someones hobby or interest.
Perhaps you may find your research would be better directed at "what interests a railway enthusiast".We are a very broad church with lots of different interest and abilities that encompasses the world of modern railways and the railway heritage movement.This industry is a very large part of the leisure/tourist industry of the UK generating significant income in this area.
Why not checkout what the railway enthusiast who have supported the A1 Steam locomotive trust have achieved see http://www.a1steam.com/ this is something all railway enthusiast are very proud off.
Apologies, I'm not here to offend or belittle the hobby. I'm just here to get a better understanding as I'm pretty clueless and thought this would be the best place to get a better insight on the people behind the hobby.