View Single Post
Old 11th February 2011, 12:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolution View Post
Hi all! I'm starting to build a model railway, I'm retired now and like Mr Waterman I've decided to build something that was my first love before women got in the way of more serious things like railways many years ago.

I'm including a breakdown crane (Hornby) which I intend to respray in BR black. My question is this: What type of crew coach would have been used along with this in the late 1950''s to early 1960's? I'm thinking along the lines of BR Maroon MK1? .......GUV? BG? or something else? Can anyone help?

Hi Resolution (can't call you your name don't know it)
Breakdown trains were distinctive to each MPD they came from so you either need to be spot on or freestyle it

First make sure you get the date right as they started painting cranes red around 62ish (not certain of precise date) and it will depend on which region you are modelling as to what coach you need so if it's LNER sorry Eastern then you will need a Gresley coach resprayed LMS/Midland then you will need an ex LMS and so on

I've cheated slightly as I'm not prepared to pay out £38 for a new coach to mangle it I've used an old Midland 4 wheel coach as a stand in (until Ebay gives me on at the right price)

Also you need to check what Tool van you need as the 12T is not always the van of choice some used CCT's and others full brakes with roll doors added

IF you can get to Rowsley on Peak Rail they have a couple of Black Engineers Vans (ex LHCS) you could copy If you can't get then I think I have some pictures I can send you -- just PM your email address and they can be in the ether for you

https://www.flickr.com/gp/grays_photos/6P1643