View Single Post
Old 7th August 2011, 12:56

Hi

Glad to see your presence on the forum, and that finally, someone in BTP is prepared to take the initiative on what is a harmless hobby. Let's not forget that we are also recording on film (some of us!) and as digital images, what will be history in 5, 10, 15 years time.

I've had a leading involvement with the issues over railway photography over the past 5-7 years, and the lies and myths perpetrated by railway staff (and occasionally) BTP that taking photos was banned.

Some years ago I investigated the scheme that's used at airports, and suggested publicly that a similar scheme could be adopted for enthusiasts. Only recently, a railway photographer prevented a suicide, so good can only come from this scheme.
During my investigations, I spoke to one of the police behind the airport scheme, and it transpired he was also a signalman on a heritage line, so well aware of the issues for both types of enthusiasts.

Last year, The Railway Magazine, which has been proactive with the injustice of being told 'no photos', suggested a card scheme, and while the magazine's campaign was good, the message about photography being permitted has been getting through to front line staff, and the problems have subsided.

That said, I'd welcome a more open chat with you as I feel I have something significant to contribute. Perhaps you can PM me?