View Single Post
Old 22nd August 2011, 02:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisstrains View Post
The bodies of the Westbahn double-decker EMU's are a maximum of 4.595 metres above rail level. This compares to 4.050 metres for a modern standard European coach such as those used by OBB, SBB, DB etc.
Even though the Mainland European loading-gauge is more generous than ours it is still only the centre part of the coach that is double-deck because of the space required for the bogies. That is why the pantographs and some other electrical equipment can be lower than the main (centre) section of the coach as at that point there is only a single-deck.
HTH
Ah! Thanks for that Swisstrains, it explains a lot and put me "on track" if you'll foregive the pun to find some info, not on the HKX but the Dutch Double Decker.
There are some great photo's of the interior of the Dutch DD/IRM on of all places: Wikipedia! Just search for; "NS VIRM". Scroll down and the pics are at the bottom of the page.
The main difference that I can see over the 6010 HKX to the Dutch DD IRM is that the doors on the IRM are located over the bogies, therefore the stairs will have to go down as well as up...to the seating area's. This shown in the pics.
The width is given as 3.02Mtrs and the Height as 4.67mtrs....surely this would be within our gauge wouldn't it? I'd love to see these trains over here!... Res.