View Single Post
Old 11th November 2006, 21:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Hicks
Well it looks like there will be more to come of 185 units on that line when they are used on the North West services, and they are replacing the voyagers on Scotland services.
Having now read the TPE press release I can't really decide if the TPE 185's will be replacing the Virgin Voyagers on the Glasgow/Edinburgh services or operating competing services. Maybe replacing the 221 Voyagers would be a way of releasing some of them for use on the London-Holyhead services. Virgin would like to get rid of the expensive 57/Pendolino combinations on the North Wales coast and replace them with a dedicated fleet of 221 Voyagers with improved catering facilities.
I also wonder what will happen to the TPE services to Blackpool, Barrow and Windermere if these services are extended to Scotland. The long-term rail strategy for the North-West says that there should be more trains between Manchester and Blackpool and that greater use should be made of Manchester Victoria station. This might mean that some of the present TPE Manchester Airport-Blackpool services are replaced by Northern Trains services from Victoria. Making greater use of Victoria would certainly reduce some of the load on the line through Manchester Oxford Road.