View Single Post
Old 28th April 2019, 07:40

G'day again,
I have blown up the image of the indicator panel with me Photoshop and can now read the various alarm tabs.
I kinda agree with BW and Master that this seems to be a panel from an older electric loco.
A Bo-Bo type with four traction motors.
It is interesting that individual alarms are provided for each traction motor Overloads.
I am baffled by the surge suppression alarm.
This seems to suggest that the main transformer can suffer from surging output.
So, potentially a vintage AC supply with DC traction electric loco.
My only exposure to electric locos being the trio of our NSWR 1500 volt DC classes.
All of which were Co-Co wheel arrangement and 6 traction motors.
The butter box Metro Vickers 46 class had motor generators, and the 85 & 86 class Mitsubishis had motor alternators to produce auxiliary current.
The 85 & 86 class possessing fluro cab lighting and cab aircon.
The 46 class provided a traction motor cut-out switch to isolate a pair of motors if suffering an earth fault.
The butter boxes possessing notching relays via resistance banks, and the 85 / 86 class possessing pilot motor driven notching camshafts via resistance banks.
I am not familiar with AC electric locos.
Though, I do know that older German AC supply DC traction electrics featured a transformer.
The multi-tap transformer providing increasing or decreasing DC traction voltage in accordance with controller notch.
I am also aware that a slight voltage phase shift can occur in between adjoining DB substation supply sections.
Hence a neutral zone through which the loco/s must coast separates adjoining substation supply sections.
The loco master switch being turned off for this neutral zone.
I can only assume this prevents any damage sustained to high tension equipment if encountering the sudden phase shift in supply.
The USA plus some European countries trialed Bi-polar electric locos early on.
I have no idea just how they functioned.
As to the dimensions of this fault indicator panel, if such were known that might suggest where this panel was located.
However, knowing the size of the fault panel in the cab of a Tassie X class EE weasel, this panel could easily be located in the cab.
The fault lamps on the desk of a butter box 46 class were originally large in size.
Such being reduced in size as smaller lamps became available in later operational life.
It is a shame that no cab switches are included with this panel.
That would possibly identify the origin of the loco.
Our butter boxes, being Pommy had switches placed down for ON and up for OFF.
All other motive power here having the Yankee switch alignment; UP for ON and DOWN for OFF.
The other question, was all BR coaching stock converted over to electric heating after the demise of soot belchers ?
Or, did specific coaching stock get assigned to electric traction haulage ?
Did any Pommy weasels possess steam boilers for train heating ?
I know that early Yankee weasels possessed steam boilers to supply train heating.
And, I am fairly certain that the GG1 electric locos also possessed a steam boiler for train heating.
The pair of unidentified fault lamps at the bottom of the panel make me wonder.
There being no mention of wheel slip or line volt faults.
Anyhoo, I shall vote for a vintage electric loco.
Steve.