View Single Post
Old 30th August 2010, 19:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre65 View Post
I believe the driver of the DMU had exited the cab (into the passenger compartment) by the actual impact point.
Yes, I read somewhere that, having applied the emergency brake, he was in the doorway from the cab to the passenger compartment shouting a warning to the passengers at the time of the collision, and that this accounted for some of his injuries. I don't know the technicalities of driving a train, other than the odd play of Trainz, so I can't vouch for the accuracy of this. However, I understand that once the emergency braking system has been applied there is nothing else the driver can do. I seem to recall similar information being given regarding a HST that suffered serious cab damage in a collision with a tree a month or so ago, there the driver applied the emergency brake and ducked for cover in the nick of time. I'm sure there's someone with more knowledge of train driving here who would know about this.

If it has less than 16 wheels it had better be a bike. If it has more than two wheels, it had better be a TRAIN!!