View Single Post
Old 10th November 2014, 12:10

Hi Paul, and welcome to the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul mercer View Post
.....presumably because electrics and salt water don't mix very well, whereas the Southern route would have no such restrictions if it was decided to electrify that.
OHLE can live happily next to the sea, as it does on the ECML. But it's probably true to say that a heavy onshore storm throwing thousands of gallons of salty water over the 25,000 volt line could cause it to trip out, or at least provide a very entertaining lightning display ! I've seen some very strange things occur with the high voltages carried by the catenarys ( including the "The St Chad bridge Exploding Pigeon Effect").

Quote:
.... but I do have my suspicions that the Government are going to declare that they will only patch up the line at Dawlish and quietly forget that they said anything about looking at alternative options!
Yes I'd put my money on it. Most of us here aren't taken in by ministers' promises... I remember John Prescott's words after the Clapham disaster - we must have Automatic Train Protection "at any cost". Yeah right

BW