View Single Post
Old 9th November 2017, 07:24

I was a secondman at Tinsley 1974-81/82... 50% of our work was local trip trains in and around Sheffield & Rotherham. Mostly coal, coke, steel, scrap and stone. They all ran as a class 9. All loose coupled with a tub at the back. There were lots of places where AWB was necessary - bringing loads of coal and coke from outlying areas. One I remember clearly was Smithywood nr Ecclesfield, NW of Sheffield. Single line leaving the coking plant with loaded HCO 21tonne wagons with 2xClass 20. I can't remember the actual maximum load but the gradient from there was fairly steep and we always set off with at least half a dozen wagon brakes pinned. It was a mile or two before we reached a small level crossing, operated by the traincrew and the trick was not to take out the gates.. I remember creeping down that incline, driving, and the pressure was palpable - especially on wet rails.. Once that was sorted it was an easy amble to Tinsley Jct West, hand back the staff and then charge at Tinsley Sth Jct and up the incline into Tinsley Yard, hoping that he would pull off the signal at the top of the climb... Of course in the BV it could be a bit of a rollercoaster for the poor guard.. Going through the hollow at Meadowhall and up the other side there would be the extended length of an 'instanter' between every wagon to take up.. Got to be careful not to divide the train by being rough but to get enough acceleration to climb the grade into Tinsley Yard.. Experienced guards would have the BV brake on going into the dip to take up some of the slack ready for the 20 foot lurch at the far end of all those loose couplers and they would wedge themselves into the seat so that they didn't land on their ar*es...
That was partly the reasoning behind being a secondman for so many years (apart from dead mens shoes).. It took years to learn and understand how different trains would behave on the many and varied grades and learning how to handle trains safely with regard for the welfare of the 3rd member of the team at the back..
Also a 'Good Guard' was worth his weight in gold to the footplate crew.. He could make all the difference, knowing when to help out with a bit of brake and knowing the routes and loading well enough to manage wagon braking when necessary too.
Working loose coupled trains was an art which took many years to master.