View Single Post
Old 18th September 2009, 16:25

Wink Being cautious - white spirit

I've got an old triang-hornby shunter loco (number 47606 0-6-0) which I've refurbished to the extent in which it now moves properly. But the commutator and brushes are extremely dirty so it doesn't run very smoothly. I want to try cleaning them with white spirit which works wonders on dirty track and I expect it will here too, but I know that it can be quite corrosive and have some nasty side effects so do you think it's safe to use on the motor? (it's a standard motor, what modern day hornby might refer to as a 'five pole skew wound'). It's been under overhaul for some time so i'd really love to get it working good as quickly as possible.

some other things I thought I'd add:
The steel wheels are covered with a layer of black oxide (probably a result of 30 years of neglect). How the heck can I get it off as it's proving very difficult?

And it has a smoke machine (if you call it that). Hornby can sell you a tiny bottle of fluid for £4 that does the trick. but I've heard rumours that things like baby oil can work just as well. any tips?

Last edited by ECML43; 19th September 2009 at 16:21.