Thread: Cab Rides
View Single Post
Old 26th January 2011, 11:10

I've only had one cab ride in the UK - in a Class 73/0, hauling VSOE stock from Stewarts Lane TMD to London Victoria, but had LOADS on the continent. In Belgium, after enquiring at stations how to get to the loco depot, I've been bundled into the cab of units and locos and been taken there, also lifts BACK to the station. In France, I surmised that anyone armed with a camera, and showing sufficient interest in the loco/unit could travel the length & breadth of the country without a ticket. Myself & a friend visited the loco depot at Nantes (north-west France), and were offered a lift back to the station in the cab of a pair of light Class 67 diesels; talking to the driver en route, it became clear that he was going to be driving this pair of diesels to Bordeaux (south-west France), so after breakfast at Nantes station buffet, we had another cab ride all the way to Bordeaux. We got out there, and I asked the driver if there was a quicker way to the depot than the road route, he picked up our bags, threw them back into the cab, and we got a lift there as well. Now that's what I CALL door to door service! I've been given a cab ride from Mohon depot (north-east France) to the station at Charleville-Mezieres, then ALL the way to Paris Gare du Nord. Even at loco depots, drivers have INSISTED that we get into a loco, where we've been shown the engine compartment, given a lecture (in French) on how it all works, then driven up and down the depot yard - on quite a number of occasions, I may add. Mind you, this is going back around 20-22 years ago, it's probably a different kettle of fish these days.
I've also had a cab ride in a Spanish EMU.

Last edited by Dave Rowland; 26th January 2011 at 11:13. Reason: forgot something