View Single Post
Old 12th October 2018, 11:36

Hi Steve. Just gave the report a quick glance and saw this..

"The driver advised the ATSB that he was feeling unwell at the time of the occurrence and that he subsequently was diagnosed with a severe respiratory tract infection"

Wow. We all know you shouldn't book on duty if you're not fit, so it gets you wondering if there is a culture of bullying in that area.

We have a system called "Managing for Attendance" in the UK which is a 3 stage process ending in dismissal. It effectively ensures that sick people have to come to work. You could have a perfect attendance record for 40 years, but as soon as you have more than 4 days off, or more than 2 instances in 13 weeks, or more than 10 days of in 52 weeks you start the process running.

Of course it's down to management. If they're compassionate, or there's a driver shortage, things are dealt with sensibly. But if thugs are running the job - and that's a culture which is on the increase, things can get nasty.

To put things in perspective, I damaged my knee a few years ago and had to take 5 months off. My employers were excellent. I continued to be paid, and they gave me some physio sessions. So it can be excellent, or it can be horrendous.

Be interesting to see how this incident runs.

Best wishes, BW.

Last edited by Beeyar Wunby; 12th October 2018 at 11:39.