Thread: "Tram-train"
View Single Post
Old 10th September 2009, 16:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathbyteacup View Post
I did have a photo of a Class 60 on Metrolink metals but can't find it at the moment. This proves it did occur, however;
http://www.ews-railway.co.uk/cmsnews...45D244AF8CE%7D..........
During the upgrading work EWS Class 60's were permitted to work on the Metrolink line from Bury to Collyhurst Tunnel. Only the cut-down 08's were permitted to proceed through the tunnel into Manchester Victoria. The Metrolink handbook states that the overhead wires on the railway sections are at a nominal height of 4700mm but that trams can cope with a minimum height of 3900mm in places. This could explain why a Class 60 with a height of 3931mm could operate as far as Collyhurst Tunnel but only a cut-down 08 with a height of 3610mm could pass through the tunnel. ( For reference the actual trams are 3700mm high with their pantographs lowered)
Quote:
But as EWS states there, there are problems with clearences brining main line locomotives onto the Metrolink network, certainly in the city centre where the OHL is far too low for a mainline loco to fit under (I believe EWS had to bring their locos in via the connection at the ELR). So there is no chance of fitting a Pacer into the city centre because the wires are too low.
I don't understand this as the Metrolink handbook states that the overhead wires in the City Centre section are actually higher with a nominal height of 5500mm above the roadway. I assume this is to cater for high road vehicles such as double-decker buses.
Quote:
I also don't see a Pacer making it up the gradient towards Shudehill on tram tracks without derailing to be honest.
Non starter.
I can't argue with that

Last edited by swisstrains; 10th September 2009 at 16:26.