View Single Post
Old 29th December 2012, 01:32

Long trains of the world.

Hi Ralph,i have been going back some months on various post,and i came across your South African train of 75 wagons,which is a short one to other places in the world But i believe that SA did have the longest train in the world back in the 1980s,but dont quote me on that.
Class 9Es were CO-COs.
built for the Port of Saldanha Bay,and designed by GEC of Manchester but built in SA to run iron ore trains to ISCOR,these Loco's ran on 50kV,although they can work on 55 kV down to 25kV. The train length was,3.2 kms long,six loco's pulled this train giving a total of 30,000 hp,with 5 braking systems they carried a small motor bike in a side locker,for train inspection if required.
In the late 1980s new 10E CO-COs came on the scene and replaced the9Es, as only 4 Loco's were required.
The most powerful Loco's on the SAR,as it was then were the 11Es for the Ermelo, Richards Bay coal trains of 200 wagons,pulling more than 21.000 tons being permanently in multiple there are only 2 cabs,i could go deeper into the technical side but i think this is enough.